Saturday, June 11, 2011

Dancing Fetus is Dancing

Dear Sprout,

This week starts week number 22. The next three weeks, you'll be about the size of a papaya and getting up to over a pound. Something about this is unbelievable to me.

This past week has been such a wonderful one. We had our halfway through ultrasound and spent the first part of the week with your nini, setting your room up and getting you clothes, and while I am still quite nervous, I'm starting to feel prepared.

The ultrasound... I don't know if I have the words to describe what I felt that day. I had been so nervous going into it, so on edge because of all of my nightmares and doubts. When you popped up on the screen, I squeezed your father's hand and said "There's a baby in there... STILL!"

You were in there and so much bigger than the last time. You were active and wouldn't stop moving, just like last time. You are already starting to get a reputation as a mover and a shaker.

Over those 45 minutes, we got to see so many small parts of you, all the boring stuff, the bits and pieces that showed you were healthy. Your femur, your bladder, your kidneys, your arms. You were measuring just the right size for our gestation stage. The tech even showed us that your head shape is going to match mine, not your dad's. But you weren't giving up the money shot, the image on the screen that we all were waiting for with our breath held.

The ultrasound tech kept teasing us and asking us what we thought you were going to be. Eventually she told us you weren't being cooperative enough to show us a good image, but that she could see your bits and would we like to know the sex, even without the picture? Lady, be SERIOUS, of course we want to know! She laughed at us and said that she could see enough of your boy parts during your acrobatics session to think you were a boy.

And no sooner had she said it, she did another sweep of the scan wand thing, and lo and behold, there it was. Photographic evidence that you are, in fact, a little dude.

A boy.

How did that happen? We were all SO SURE you were going to be a girl.

You are already full of surprises. And I couldn't be more in love with my boy.

So now we have a son on the way. I found myself going gooey over sweater vests and plaid shorts and all of those boy clothes I couldn't even fathom before. Your closet is full of so many cute, soft, wonderful clothes. I can't help but sometimes walk in there and just touch some of the pieces. Soon, you'll be wearing these.

Lately, your father has been reading you stories at night. I think you like it. Or hate it. Either way, when he starts reading to you, you start moving like crazy. I can't wait for the two of you to be together.

My boy. Our son.

I am madly in love with you and what our family is going to be with you in it.

All of my love,
Your mama

No comments:

Post a Comment